- This event has passed.
What Social Workers Should Know about End of Life Care
March 12, 2019 @ 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm$40
End of Life Choices New York will host continuing education workshop entitled “What Social Workers Should Know about End of Life Care”- to New York Social Workers (LMSWs and LCSWs). This program providing 2.0 CEH will be held March 12th, 5-7:30pm.
The workshop will be presented by Laurie Leonard, LMSW Executive Director of End of Life Choices New York. Over her forty year career she has worked in hospice, hospitals, communications and specialized in end of life issues. She earned her MBA at Harvard University and her MSW at Fordham University.
Through lecture and discussion, participants will (1) increase their knowledge around end of life treatment options, advance care planning, palliative care, life-sustaining treatments and hospice and (2) be better prepared help their clients to have their health care wishes honored and receive more effective end of life care.
After attending the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explain why dying is very different today than it was a hundred years ago.
- Describe the difference between a health care proxy, a living will, a MOLST form, and a do not resuscitate order.
- Identify specific laws that protect patients’ rights to make their own choices about the type of care they want.
- State what palliative care is and when it can benefit patients.
- Define hospice care and describe how hospice can provide for a better quality of life and a more peaceful death.
- Explain why pain is undertreated, and what can be done about it.
Continuing Education Contact Hours Information
2.0 live contact hours will be awarded for NYS licensed social workers. End of Life Choices New York, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0464. The registration fee is 40.00. Click here to register
Space is limited to 12 attendees. Registration will close by March 9th.
If you have any questions about this program, please email email@example.com